2 cups water
2/3 cup quinoa
1½ pounds zucchini or summer squash – chopped
olive oil to coat squash for roasting
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion – chopped
2 cloves garlic – minced
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon rosemary
Salt & black pepper – to taste
½ cup cheddar cheese – shredded
To cook quinoa:
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add quinoa, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Set aside.
To prepare roasted summer squash/zucchini:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (conventional).
- Lightly coat chopped squash or zucchini with olive oil.
- Roast until browned and a knife inserts easily into the pieces. Remove and set aside.
To prepare onion and summer squash/zucchini mix:
- Chop onions and set aside.
- Mince the garlic and set aside.
- Sauté onions and until tender.
- Add minced garlic to the onions and salt. Continue sautéing for a minute.
- Add thyme, rosemary and roasted squash. Blend and set aside.
To assemble gratin:
- In a large bowl, beat eggs.
- Add the onion and roasted squash mixtures, cooked quinoa and shredded cheese. Blend well.
- Transfer to oiled or buttered baking dish. The filling should be 1½-2½ inches up the side of the pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until top is lightly browned and a paring knife comes out clean.