½ cup dried navy, great northern or cannellini beans – soaked overnight
½ pound onions – diced
2 cloves garlic – chopped
¼ bunch celery – chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil – to taste
1 teaspoon dried oregano – to taste
½ teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon dried marjoram
½ pound carrots – chopped
1 28oz can diced tomatoes – with juice
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ pound frozen peas
⅓ pound pasta – spiral 3-color
- Drain soaked beans. Place in pot, cover well with fresh water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until firm but tender. Stir occasionally, skim froth from top and add more hot water if needed.
- Heat oil in a large pot and add diced onions, minced garlic and chopped celery. Sauté until onions are soft.
- Add basil, oregano, sage, parsley and marjoram to the onion mix and continue sautéing for a few more minutes until fragrant.
- Add carrots and cover with water. Bring pot to a boil and simmer until carrots are just tender.
- While the carrots are cooking, cook pasta, cool and set aside.
- When carrots are almost done, add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and cooked beans to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are very tender and easily pierced with a paring knife.
- Add peas 10 minutes before serving so they retain their color. Season soup to taste.
- Add the pasta to the simmering soup shortly before serving so that it doesn’t become too soft and fall apart.
- Serve with grated romano or parmesan cheese.