1 lb. tempeh
2 cloves garlic – minced
2 tablespoons capers (rinsed)
1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives (or stuffed green olives) – roughly chopped
1/2 cup prunes – roughly chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons tamari
4 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
4 tablespoons cooking sherry (optional but tasty)
1 tablespoon basil, chopped fresh or dried
1 tablespoon marjoram, dried
Salt and pepper to taste
To prepare the tempeh:
- Cut tempeh into 1 inch cubes, or break into bite-sized pieces by hand, and place in a saucepan with an inch of water.
- Steam tempeh for 10 minutes to hydrate and plump up. Set aside until the marinade is prepared.
To prepare the marinade:
- Mince garlic.
- Combine the minced garlic, capers, olive oil, tamari, water, red wine vinegar, sherry (optional), basil and marjoram, salt and pepper. Stir well.
To prepare the dish:
- Place tempeh, chopped olives and chopped prunes in a well-oiled oven dish.
- Ladle the marinade into the pans and stir to coat the tempeh.
- Cover the pan and let tempeh and other ingredients marinate for an hour or more. Stir frequently.
To bake the tempeh marbella:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (conventional).
- Bake the marbella covered, for about 40 minutes, stirring occassionally, until it’s hot throughout and some of the tempeh browns. If the marbella becomes a little dry during baking, add hot water a little at a time to moisten the tempeh.