2 red onions – well minced
1 clove garlic – well minced
3 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes – diced
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 pound green pepper – finely diced
4 sticks celery – finely diced
1 cucumber – peeled & finely diced
1/4 bunch scallions – finely chopped
Juice of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon honey
3/4 teaspoon tarragon – dried or 1/4 cup fresh
1 cup fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 bunch cilantro – minced
1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce – to taste
Sour cream or cottage cheese and crusty bread to serve on the side
Serving Note: This soup is served cold.
1. In a soup pot or large bowl, combine the diced tomatoes with their juice, the onions, garlic, wine vinegar, olive oil and black pepper and allow to marinate for at least an hour (it can also be left overnight).
2. While the tomato/veggie mixture is marinating, chop/dice remaining vegetables (green pepper, celery, cucumber and scallions). Set aside.
3. After at least one hour of marinating, blend the marinated tomato mixture to a puree. Add vegetable stock or tomato juice if the soup is too thick.
4. Add green peppers, celery, cucumbers and scallions, lemon juice, honey, tarragon, basil, cumin, and cilantro. Chill soup for at least 2 hours.
5. Just before serving, add tabasco sauce to taste & mix well.
6. Serve with sour cream or cottage cheese & crusty bread.
NOTE: A food processor can be used to mince the vegetables. However, hand chopping the scallions is recommended.