1/3 cup butter – melted and slightly cooled
2/3 cup milk
2/3 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/3 cup cheddar cheese – grated
2 scallions – thinly sliced
tablespoon oil for greasing
- Adjust oven racks to middle positions and preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Stir the lemon juice with milk and let the mixture stand for 10 minutes. This allows the milk to clabber (small white clumps will form.)
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the milk/lemon juice and the cooled butter.
- Lightly oil baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
- Mix milk/butter mixture to the dry ingredients. Add cheese and scallions. Stir to incorporate the wet and dry ingredients such that the batter pulls away from the sides of bowl. Mixture will be thick and gooey. When mixing, scrape the bottom of the mixing bowl well, to ensure there are no pockets of dry ingredients hidden at the bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Using a greased 1/4 cup measuring cup , scoop level amount of batter and drop onto parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing biscuits about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until tops are golden and crisp, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Brush tops of the hot biscuits with melted butter and let cool a few minutes before serving.