1 1/2 cups water
1 cup bulgur wheat, dry
1 clove garlic – minced
2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound red onion – diced fine
1/2 cup mint (fresh) – chopped fine
1/2 cup parsley (fresh) – chopped fine
1/2 pound tomatoes (fresh) – diced
Note: start preparation at least 3 hours before serving.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Place the bulgur wheat into a large pot.
- Add boiling water to the bulgur wheat, stir, and then cover tightly with lid or another bowl and allow the bulgur to sit undisturbed for 20 minutes.
- Drain if necessary. Fluff the bulgur with a fork. Allow it to cool.
- After the bulgur is cooled, add the remaining ingredients except tomatoes (minced garlic, lemon juice, chopped mint, olive oil, salt, black pepper, diced red onion, chopped parsley) and toss until well blended.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to marinate.
- Add tomatoes 10 minutes before serving and toss gently to prevent sogginess.
- Toss salad again before serving.