Olive oil – for sautéing
2 onions – finely chopped
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon fresh ginger – minced
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
3 pounds butternut squash – peeled, seeded & cubed
6 cup vegetable stock (&/or water)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg – freshly grated or dry
1 tablespoon peanut butter (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
- Chop onions.
- Mince the garlic and ginger. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot and add onions, garlic and ginger to saute until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add cumin seeds and continue sauteing until fragrant.
- Add cubed pumpkin, squash, vegetable broth/water, tomato paste and simmer covered until squash is soft and tender – a knife should easily enter and exit the squash. This may take 40 – 50 mins depending on the quantities. Extract 2 cups of liquid and reserve for possible later use.
- Add peanut butter (optional), nutmeg and blend to a puree. (A handheld blender is handy here). Add reserved liquid to reach desired soup consistency.
- Salt & pepper to taste.