During 2019, there were 276 days of teacher-led courses offered at the Retreat Center, and 365 days for personal retreats offered at the Forest Refuge. A total of 53 teachers, including 3 monastics from the ordained sangha, plus 25 assistants taught the Buddha’s priceless teachings throughout this period.
Retreat highlights included:
- Courses at the Retreat Center for specific audiences: mindfulness-based professionals, women, people of color, teens, young adults (18-32 year olds), our LGBTQIA+ community, and experienced students.
- Several month-long themed retreats were offered at the Forest Refuge.
- Three courses at the Retreat Center were offered on a You Choose fee basis, allowing retreatants to establish their own course fee. Four You Choose fee spaces and one mendicant space were offered at any given time throughout the year at the Forest Refuge for stays of 30 days or longer.
- Two offsite events were offered.
Financial results of operations
Total operating expenses for the year (which includes depreciation) were $5,823,729. Revenues from registrations for retreats covered 54% of our expenses; the rest came from contributions and investment income. Clearly, IMS continues to rely heavily on donations to keep rates affordable and to sustain operations.
The following revenue and expense information is derived from our audited financial statement.
Operating revenue (not including investment income)
- Retreat registration revenue: $3,125,479
- Contributions: $1,873,062
- Sales, misc. & bank interest: $159,518
Total operating revenue: $5,158,059*
Operating expenses (net of depreciation and investment fees)
- Program services: $4,940,347
- Management & general: $584,382
- Development & outreach: $299,000
Total operating expenses: $5,823,729*
Result of operations: ($665,670)**
* Includes donations received for and paid to teachers.
** The operational deficit was covered by the budgeted investment draw.
Please direct any feedback to Executive Director Inger Forland at email@example.com.