Olive oil – for sautéing
2 onions – finely chopped
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon fresh ginger – minced
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
3 pounds butternut squash – peeled, seeded & cubed
6 cup vegetable stock (&/or water)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg – freshly grated or dry
1 tablespoon peanut butter (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Chop onions.
2. Mince the garlic and ginger. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a large pot and add onions, garlic and ginger to saute until onions are soft and translucent.
4. Add cumin seeds and continue sauteing until fragrant.
5. Add cubed pumpkin, squash, vegetable broth/water, tomato paste and simmer covered until squash is soft and tender – a knife should easily enter and exit the squash. This may take 40 – 50 mins depending on the quantities. Extract 2 cups of liquid and reserve for possible later use.
6. Add peanut butter (optional), nutmeg and blend to a puree. (A handhel blender is handy here). Add reserved liquid to reach desired soup consistency.
7. Salt & pepper to taste.