Introducing the IMS Book Club!
Each month, the IMS Book Club brings together authors and readers for a facilitated discussion on the featured dharma-book-of-the-month. Our book club offers participants a deeper experience and engagement with early Buddhist teachings and practice through the lens of the selected book.
The IMS Book Club launches on October 2, featuring Sharon Salzberg’s new book, Real Change: Mindfulness to Heal Ourselves and Our World.
- The IMS Book Club is entirely free of charge.
- All Book Club meetings will be held online via Union and Zoom.
- Each monthly Book Club event will feature a new book and three group discussions of one-hour each, including at least one session with the author.
- Featured authors will lead at least one of the three group discussions. If the author/teacher does not participate in all three sessions, an insight teacher from IMS will moderate those discussions in place of the author.
- Discussion questions will be offered to participants in advance of each meeting session so that everyone has a chance to consider if and how they want to contribute to the discussion.
- Beyond these basic guidelines, authors will be able to tailor their book club meetings as they see fit, so the structure of book club gatherings may vary from month to month.
Want to Join?
To join the IMS Book Club, simply register here. You will receive monthly invitations to sign up for the book-of-the-month discussions that interest you. Although there is no charge to join the book club, participants will need to secure their own copies of the books prior to the start of the monthly discussion group.
How Are Books Chosen?
All titles featured in the IMS Book Club are selected by IMS staff and Guiding Teachers. Selections must align with IMS’s mission and values. Rooted in the early Buddhist teachings of ethics, concentration, and wisdom, chosen titles will support the development of awareness and compassion.