1/2 pound onions – diced
1/2 teaspoon garlic – chopped
1/2 pound frozen spinach – thawed and well drained, or fresh spinach, steamed or sauted and well drained
2 eggs – beaten
3/4 pound ricotta cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella – grated
1 package phyllo pastry
4 tablespoon butter – melted
Pinch of nutmeg
Olive oil for sautéing
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
1. Chop onions. Set aside.
2. Mince garlic.
3. Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and garlic, sauté until onions are soft and translucent.
4. Add well-drained spinach and cook to get rid of extra moisture.
5. Cool briefly. Mix sautéed onion/garlic/spinach mixture thoroughly with the beaten eggs, nutmeg, ricotta and grated mozzarella.
6. Butter an ovenproof dish and layer 5 sheets of phyllo dough on bottom of pan. Brush each sheet with melted butter before layering.
7. Pour in spinach/cheese filling and layer 5 phyllo sheets on top, again buttering each layer and the top one.
8. Brush the beaten eggs on top as an egg wash (optional – add a splash of milk to the wash). Bake uncovered 40-45 minutes or more. Top should be golden brown.
9. Let stand 10 minutes or more before serving.