1 pound fresh or frozen spinach, squeezed dry (see method below)
1 bunch scallions, chopped into 1 ½-inch lengths
1 pack phyllo pastry
3 eggs, lightly beaten
11 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
5 ounces butter, melted
2 tablespoons olive oil (approximately)
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
½ teaspoon pepper
⅓ teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
⅛ teaspoon salt
Preparing the Spinach
If using fresh spinach, chop it coarsely and steam until cooked. Let it cool, then drain. If using frozen spinach, thaw it and squeeze out the excess water in a sieve or colander until it is quite dry.
Making the Filling
1. Sauté the chopped scallions in a little olive oil until soft.
2. Crumble the feta cheese (not too finely) and put it in a large bowl with the spinach, scallions, mint, salt and pepper.
3. In another bowl, crack the eggs and beat them lightly. Pour them into the spinach mixture and mix well with a spoon or with your hands. Try not to completely break up the feta, as the finished dish is nice with some sizable nuggets left in.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Butter the bottom of a 9” x 13” baking pan. Butter each phyllo sheet before putting in pan and cover bottom of pan with half the sheets, spreading evenly.
3. Put in filling, then cover with the other half of the phyllo, using the same method of brushing each sheet with butter. When finished, tuck sides down.
4. Cut through the phyllo topping so it is divided 6” x 3”.
5. Make an egg wash by beating an egg with a splash of milk and brushing over the top.
6. Bake in 400°F oven uncovered. Check in30 minutes, the filling should be hot and the top brown.