- About Us
- FAQ about IMS
- Virtual Tours
- Current News
- Working Here
- Mission and Values
- Board of Directors
- Annual Report
- Contact Us
- Mailing List
- Meditation Retreats
- New to Meditation?
- FAQ about Retreats
- Food and Accommodations
- Retreat Center
- Forest Refuge
- Work Retreats
- Pay Your Balance
Hot & Sour Soup
Serving Size: 6
2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
1/2 pound shitake mushrooms – stems removed, wiped clean & sliced
1/2 pound white mushrooms – stems removed, wiped clean & sliced
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
6 cups water or vegetable broth (or a mix)
1 pound tofu – cut in 1/4 inch strips
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 bunch scallions – sliced
1/4 bunch cilantro – roughly chopped
- Bring water or broth to a boil. Add tamari, vinegars, sesame oil and pepper.
- Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Adjust seasoning, keep hot.
- Half an hour before serving bring back to boil and add the tofu.
- Meanwhile, mix cornstarch with an equal amount of water. Pour about 1/4 of this mixture into a bowl with eggs and whisk thoroughly. Set aside egg mixture and add rest of cornstarch water mixture to pot of hot soup a little at a time while stirring over a medium heat until thickened. Turn off heat and drizzle in egg mixture without stirring. Let the egg mixture sit on top for a minute then gently stir into soup.
- Garnish with scallions and cilantro.
Go back to main Recipes page