- About Us
- FAQ about IMS
- Virtual Tours
- Current News
- Working Here
- Mission and Values
- Board of Directors
- Annual Report
- Contact Us
- Mailing List
- Meditation Retreats
- New to Meditation?
- FAQ about Retreats
- Food and Accommodations
- Retreat Center
- Forest Refuge
- Work Retreats
- Pay Your Balance
IMS Annual Report of Operations
for the Fiscal Year 2011
(January 1, 2011 – December 31, 2011)
During 2011, a total of 255 days of teacher-led courses were offered at the Retreat Center, and 365 days for personal retreats were offered at the Forest Refuge. A total of 53 teachers, including four monks and one nun from the ordained sangha, taught the Buddha’s priceless teachings throughout this period. Retreat highlights included:
- Courses at the Retreat Center for specific audiences: women, people of color, teens, young adults (18-32 year olds), families, new meditation students, experienced students, caregivers and scientists and educators.
- Three courses at the Retreat Center were offered on a 'You Choose' fee basis, allowing retreatants to establish their own course fee. Five 'You Choose' fee spaces were offered at any given time throughout the year at the Forest Refuge for stays of 14 days or longer.
2,655 individuals participated in retreats at IMS during 2011. Some sat more than one retreat yielding a total of 2,949 registrations. Pertinent information about those who sat at IMS is a follows:
- 65% were women, 35% were men
- 17% were under the age of 32 years
- 42% had never been to IMS before
- 28% received some form of financial assistance valued at $388,870
- 44% of all yogi nights were supported with some form of financial assistance.
Our occupancy rate at the Retreat Center was 91% and at the Forest Refuge it was 86%.
Financial results of operations
Total operating expenses for the year (net of depreciation and investment fees) were $3,506,559. Revenues from registrations for retreats covered 53% of our expenses; the rest came from donations and investment income. Clearly, IMS continues to rely heavily on donations to keep rates affordable and to sustain operations.
The following revenue and expense information is derived from our audited financial statement.
Operating revenue (not including investment income)
|Retreat registration revenue||$1,863,806|
|Sales, misc. & bank interest||$71,912|
|Total operating revenue||$2,909,836*|
Operating expenses (net of depreciation and investment fees)
|Management & general||$369,186|
|Development & outreach||$253,237|
|Total operating expenses||$3,506,559*|
|Result of operations||($596,723)**|
* Includes donations received for and paid to teachers.
** The operational deficit was covered by the budgeted investment draw.
Please direct any feedback to Bob Agoglia, IMS Executive Director, at email@example.com
Past Annual Reports